Worldreader and Opera distribute free ebooks to 5 million African readers
Mobile phones are key drivers in Africa for accessing online information ranging from various subject matters such as health, education and sports. With the continued uptake of mobile phones, Africans are hungry to consume more online content and free ebooks from Worldreader have become a popular option.
A growing partnership
In May this year, Opera launched a partnership with Worldreader to provide a distribution channel for Worldreader’s powerful library of free ebooks.
We are now celebrating a great milestone, reaching five million mobile readers in Africa.
Here are some facts about our readers:
- A large proportion come from Ethiopia (23%).
- 65% are men.
- On average, women read 48% more than men. Women read 11.5 minutes per session while men read 6.5 minutes per session.
- Active readers spend 17 minutes reading per session.
- The most popular literary categories are Love, Sports, Education and Health.
- The most popular books include The Art of Public Speaking (education), Nutrition & Growth (health), Milk & Honey (romance), Laubach Way to Reading (education).
More mobile readers means more knowledge, which can only be a good thing. Worldreader shares Opera’s belief that creating a sustainable, educated and connected world is possible through partnerships and long-lasting solutions.