As we approach midsummer in this area, we would like to offer a developer update which includes one feature that was frequently asked for. You may now realize it is…
The RSS Reader
The work on personal news is continued. This build comes with another set of changes and improvements. As an important addition, we also bring the first version of RSS support!
Even though the functionality is very limited at the moment, you can already take it for a spin. Just click on +Add sources button and paste URL into search field (for instance: https://www.nasa.gov/rss/dyn/breaking_news.rss). Once recognized as valid source, you can add it (in case it doesn’t work for you, please post the url in comments).
Custom RSS can be read in both timeline and stacked view. However, the estimated reading time is not available for those sources.
The feature is pretty rough on the edges. But hey, this is what developer is for 🙂 We know there are the following issues and they will get addressed in upcoming updates:
- Missing “Remove from my sources” button but there’s a workaround: Go to +Add sources paste the same URL and untick it.
- When combined with other sources, article age is not taken properly into account and timeline gets messed up.
- URL is displayed instead of RSS title (header and sidebar).
Please let us know what you think.
Maybe not as much expected as the RSS feature, but still very important – today, we are also offering Chromecast finally working in this developer version. Specifically, when you install the Google Cast extension from the store and have the special device attached to your display and operating in the same Wi-Fi network, the device should be detected and sending links should work.
At last! We have fixed the Windows 64bit issue and today, we are offering the experimental version.
Chromium has been updated to 53.0.2783.2.
- The opera:about page sometimes freezes the browser.
- Opera developer for Windows
- Opera developer for Windows x64 – experimental
- Opera developer for Mac
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – deb file
- Opera developer for 32-bit Linux – RPM file
- Opera developer for 64-bit Linux – RPM file
Changelog: Full changelog link
Like what you've read?
The Opera browser is designed for speed, efficiency and protection - see why people are using Opera.Download Opera Now