We’re rolling out a new Opera developer update. This includes bug fixes. Bookmarks which are dragged from Bookmarks Bar to Tab Bar are now opening in the proper place on Mac – not as the last tab. The behavior of download notification button is also fixed – it was still visible after cleaning the download history and now it’s hidden like it’s supposed to.
You can check full list of fixes in the changelog.
Let us know if you’re having problems with our current Developer stream. And if you’re curious, I’m Wojtek. I’ve recently joined the team as a Mac Product Tester. Looking forward to getting your feedback about this update!
- The Off Road section of the help page is displayed after turning on Off Road Mode for the first time
- Bookmarks dragged from Bookmarks Bar to Tab Bar are opening in the proper place
- Some Speed Dial thumbnails are not generated when a new page is saved to Speed Dial
- Downloads pop-out can refuse to Open on Mac
Opera for Windows and Mac makes browsing the web beautiful, efficient and fast. We’ve now come to version 20. You can update Opera automatically, or download it.
Here are the highlights of features that we’re introducing with this version of Opera:
Drag and drop Speed Dial entries to the bookmarks bar
See? Just pick it up, drag it and drop it. Just like that. On the bookmarks bar. That way you can access the site even when you’re not on the start page.
Drag and drop a website to your Speed Dial or bookmarks bar
It also works the other way around. You can drag a website and drop it as a bookmark or as a Speed Dial entry.
More menu items
We added shortcuts from the main menu to Speed Dial, Stash and Discover. That way you can go directly to any of them without opening a new tab.
More Speed Dial customization
We added a new feature to the advanced settings. Today, Opera uses quite large thumbnails to display Speed Dial entries. You can disable this and get a much smaller size. This feature is for the minimalists out there, or those with a lot of Speed Dial entries. Note that we are still enhancing advanced settings, you can find more already in developer stream.
This is how your Speed Dial can look like with small thumbnails:
There are a host of other improvements to make browsing safer and snappier:
- Improved screenshots for Stash – goodbye blurry images!
- Performance improvements for loading themes.
- An advanced setting to confirm exit when using Command–Q on Mac.
- A broken padlock badge in the URL bar, if the site’s certificate is not valid. This is a “proceed with caution” indicator rather than an red alert.
- Inline installation of extensions. This makes it easy to install security-vetted extensions hosted in the Opera add-ons store, but without leaving its associated site, thereby reducing friction.
If you want more technical detail, grab the full changelog.
We are getting closer with each day to the final release of Opera 20. This update contains the important fix for the dangling processes some of you encountered after closing Opera window. Please check if it’s fixed for you Have fun testing, thank you for the feedback.
- Fought off zombie invasion from invisible windows/processes
Another Opera Next update today
This update includes new Chromium intake only. We’re really happy with all the feedback we get from you. So go ahead and join the discussion by replying to this post. Good luck with testing Opera Next!
- Chromium updated to version 33.0.1750.117
Hi everybody, we have a fresh Opera Next update for you today
The update includes new Chromium intake, fixes for ‘Paste and Go’ in the address field, Speed Dials, Net Installer and other bug fixes. Good luck with testing Opera Next!
- Paste and Go in address field fixed
- Chromium updated to version 33.0.1750.112
We are releasing Opera Developer 21 today.
This developer release got somewhat delayed due to unforeseen problems. However, we are back on track and eager to show off the new version.
The main highlight is integration of Aura on Windows. Aura is a hardware-accelerated rendering of the browser, including the user-interface. This enables less-taxing UI animations and a general sleeker and more responsive feel to the whole UI.
From big things to a small thing (but which will please many of you): there’s now a setting to make Opera browser always show the absolute address in the address field. While many consumers appreciate the emphasis on the domain name and just the essential information; our power users and web developers often need to see the full URL. Simply go to “Settings | Advanced: Show always full URL in address field” and it’s “Hello, absolute address!” from then on.
Mac now has full keyboard support for web apps such as Google Docs and GitHub.
Hope you are all as eager to try out Opera 21 Developer as we are about shipping it! Make sure to skim through the changelog to find more gems.
As always, please let us know about any bugs or oddities.
- Non-native scrollbars and buttons on internal pages
- Norwegian partner content (Speed Dials) may show up in other regions on Windows XP
Hi, here is another update for Opera Next.
The update includes new Chromium, fixes for Net Installer and other bug fixes that could be more or less described as a stabilization of the browser. We also updated and fixed various translations issues and missing strings. Have fun testing
- It is possible now to select second and some more links from Recently Closed, when the list is scrollable
- Network installer fixes
- New and improved translations
- Chromium updated to version 33.0.1750.91
A stability update to Opera 19 was just released.
Chromium is now updated to version 32.0.1700.107.
You can check out some fixes added to Opera Next stream. Thank you for testing and feel free to comment. Let us know if you have any problems with the build.
Greetings from Wrocław.
- Crash fixes
- New translation strings
- Chromium updated to version 33.0.1750.58
Thanks to you all for comments, testing and bug reports! Opera 20 moves from the Developer Stream to the Next stream, where it’s feature complete and ready for the last phase of merciless bug squashing and optimisations for speed, glorious speed.
- Bookmarks bar – you can drag sites from speed dial and tabs
- The URL bar badge shows a broken padlock if the site’s certificate is not valid
- Advanced settings: use big speed dial thumbnails
- Advanced settings: set width and height of speed dial thumbnails
- Menu items for Speed Dial, Discover, and Stash
- Improved stash screenshots – goodbye blurry images!
- Performance improvements of theme loading
- Advanced setting:Confirm exit when using Command–Q on Mac
- Network installer for Windows
opr.addons.installExtension(<id>, [success_callback], [failure_callback]), where id is the ID of the extension, not the URL
- Extensions chrome.system.storage API (documentation forthcoming)
- chrome.downloads API (tutorial)
- chrome.proxy API (tutorial)
For the new release, we have refreshed the Mac disk image background a little. I think they are helpful trolls like those sometimes seen in the Norwegian mountains. In any case, they are there to guide you through the installation process.
Opera Next 20 is built lovingly in Norway and Poland on top of Chromium / Blink 33. Take a look at the full changelog. Let us know if you find any bugs or problems!